Bentham Medical Practice
Thursday 5th September 2019 7:00pm
Present: Lorraine Crossley –Close, Danny Conroy, Jonathan Scott, Sandra Kay, Liz Ryan, Andrea Tuohy, Bronwen Osborne, Tony Hudson and Diane Faraday-Williams
Apologies: Gerda Southwell, Lin Barrington, Judith Nicol, Jill Noble and Dr McKirdy
- The minutes of the meeting held on Thursday June 27th were approved.
- Liz Ryan was welcomed to the group as a new member. Liz is the Development Worker for BOPT (Bentham Older People Together). North Yorkshire County Council recently changed the way it funds support for Older People This means that it will no longer provide ongoing grants to support Bentham’s Lunch clubs for Older People; that is the Friday Lunch Club in High Bentham and the Community Link Cafe in Low Bentham on Monday and Wednesday. Members of the committees from both clubs are working together under the umbrella of Bentham Older People Together to find other ways to fund the clubs to share resources and to grow what we already have in place. Liz’s role will be:
- Improve publicity for all clubs to the target audiences, families, Carers and other providers/networks.
- Consult with users over potential enhancements and to encourage more people to become involved and or attend.
- Network with key people and other organisations to build awareness
- Recruit more volunteers and to support growth in attendance
- Assist with other group members on fundraising and grant applications.
In a nutshell development of a comprehensive and supportive, self-sustaining Lunch club facilities for the people of Bentham that tackles some of the key health associated issues surrounding loneliness and rural isolation.
3. Matters Arising
In the last meeting there was a discussion on ear syringing and it has been noted that NICE guidance only advocates suction method if correct equipment is in place and nurses have had appropriate training. Many practices don’t do any ear wax removal these days so I can’t see us doing anything other than syringing at the moment.
- There have been some concerns over the waiting time for prescriptions at the chemist.
- Lorraine is still trying to speak to the Dementia Matron.
- Lorraine cannot make the next meeting on 7th November so the meeting will be changed to the 14th
- Currently the PRG group meets every 6 weeks but it was suggested that the group could meet the first Thursday in March, June, September and December. There will be fewer meetings but small working parties could meet in between and present its findings at the main meetings.
- An email was received from Lin Barrington stating that she would not be able to continue her role as a member of the PRG as she will not be registered at the practice. The meeting gave their thanks to Lin for serving on the committee and wish her well in the future.
- Surgery Update
- Staff – Dr Aqsa Naizi, ST2 with us until New Year. Dr Rebecca Brandwood due back from maternity in New Year. Medical students visiting practice every other Thursday for next few months.
- Primary Care network – Western Dales PCN. Working closely with Sedbergh and Lunesdale. Running a logo competition in local schools – this can be seen on the practice Facebook page.
- Carers Resource. Alison Webb is leaving. JS in contact with CCG re replacement, also other social prescribing organisations
- Face book page working well
- Sheet handed out to all re survey on people’s views on step up/step down provision. Castleberg to reopen in Autumn
- PRG to arrange working group meeting before next PRG meeting
- We discussed an email from Bronwen Osborne and a short discussion about commissioning of services for Bentham patients who live in Lancashire ensued.
- Next Agenda
- Extension of the Lancaster Park and Ride.
Any further items for the next agenda to Danny at least 1 week before the next meeting.
Please note the new time for the next meeting:
14th November – 2:00pm